Thursday 28 January 2021

Not Snow Again!

 I'm sorry but I can't resist another riff on the nature of snow.

Usually, in the morning, I look out the window and confirm to myself that everything is much the same as it was yesterday. It'll probably -hopefully- be the same tomorrow. I guess we all do this without really thinking much about it.

When you look out in the morning and everything is covered with snow it can change, I think, the way we feel about time. It looks like the last time it snowed. It's a view I've seen most years, for years. It doesn't take me back to yesterday - it takes me back to all those years in the past when I looked out in the morning to see snow.

And it's the same. Made afresh but always the same.

I looked out of the window this morning, saw the sundial and realised that, in  a way,  it explained what I'm trying to say:


I was reminded of the beginning of TS Eliot's Burnt Norton:

Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden. My words echo
Thus, in your mind.
                                     But to what purpose
Disturbing the dust on a bowl of rose-leaves
I do not know.


*






8 comments:

  1. It's interesting how snow triggers ideas about time. For me the thing that makes me think about time are leaves turning colors in fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Weather and seasons generally, I think. I guess we paid more attention to the seasonal changes before we invented calendars and clocks.

      Delete
  2. One of my favourite poems - isn;t it one of the four quartets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed TS Eliot and his words on time are striking. I never thought about it before but like you said there is that timeless feeling when you first discover it has snowed.

    I enjoyed the video as well. It is good to see places I will likely never actually visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go on the train shopping with my mum to Birmingham. I always looked forward to the arcade and lunch in Rackhams.

      Delete
  4. beautiful poetry and photo, snow slows things down I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a brilliant poem. Risky, though - didn't Ezra Pound say 'go in fear of abstractions'?

      Delete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...