Monday 25 January 2021

A Birthday

Today is Virginia Woolf's birthday.

Her novels are not thought of as being easy to read. I'm not sure this is true and, even if it is, I think it's true to say that many of the most rewarding things in life are not easy to get to grips with at first. Perhaps if you want to be merely entertained you should read something else. But if you want to read a book that's going to make the world look different after you read it, you could do worse than read Woolf.

The first of her books I ever read was To the Lighthouse. I started trying to read it perhaps fifteen times and never got further than the first few pages. Every time I ran into the sand, though, I left it with the feeling that there was something magical about the book that I just wasn't getting but which I just had to discover. Next time, I'd finish it. Finally, I did. I read it again. I still drop in, regularly. It went from being impenetrable to being perhaps my all-time favourite novel. Her writing can be quite addictive when you get into it.

People often describe Woolf's writing as 'stream of consciousness'. It's an off-putting term that makes a book sound difficult even before you read it. Not only that, but in Woolf's case it's usually incorrectly applied. Strictly speaking, stream of consciousness is the writing down of a character's thoughts as they might be imagined to think them. Although she found radical new ways of writing novels, the way Woolf actually writes is usually more conventional than this. I think people misapply the term because Woolf, better than any writer I know (ok, I'm a fan), creates a vivid impression of actually being able to see inside the mind of another. It's worth persevering with her novels if only to experience this. It's the source of the magic I referred to earlier.

Once I'd read To the Lighthouse I went on to read Jacob's Room, Mrs Dalloway and The Waves. The only one, so far, I've not got on with at all is The Voyage Out. I started with To the Lighthouse because it was the first of her books I happened to pick up. I later realised that Mrs Dalloway is perhaps the easiest of her great novels to get to grips with.

To set her writing aside for a moment, and end on a more personal note, I read something she said the other day. I quote it because, with all great artists, people tend to dwell on and embellish the darker moments in their lives. I want to buck the trend. Reflecting on what made her happy, she wrote: I think it’s the moment when one is walking in one’s garden, perhaps picking off a few dead flowers, and then suddenly one thinks: My husband lives in that house—and he loves me.




13 comments:

  1. I am fully aware of your absolute fascination with Virginia Woolf's work and I promise you - I have tried but I find her hard going. But I love that last quote and do see her in a rather different light - might try again with To the Lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that quote a few months ago. I think it was in a lovely book I was given for my birthday, 'Virginia Woolf's Garden: The Story of the Garden at Monk's House'. The author, Caroline Zoob, and her husband were tennants at Monk's House for over 10 years.
    It's quite clear from the book that Virginia was not much of a gardener, although she was quite willing to help, under Leonard's direction. Zoob also quotes some gardening errors in Woolf's novels - plants flowering in completely the wrong seasons.
    The book is fascinating in that as well as being about the garden, it chronicles their lives, professional and private.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an interesting book! One of my favourite quotes from VW's diaries is from 18th August, 1921: 'I hear poor Leonard, driving the lawn-mower up and down.'

      Delete
  3. You remind me of my days in grad school when I was studying Literature. It was then, and I don't know why, I stopped reading novels. I had been a reader all of my life, but a novel's lengthy page after page of long descriptive passages started to simply distract me from the content. I gave up. I haven't read a novel in 30 years. I love poetry, those brief and enlightening choice of words. I remember trying to read Virginia Woolf's To The Lighthouse, but not a single thing about it. I do like the quote. It's very brief, beautiful, poetic. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do read novels but I also read a lot of short stories - I like the way you can dib in and out of short story collections almost like you can poetry books.

      Delete
  4. Oh I forgot to wish Virginia a Happy 139th Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A long time ago I read several of her novels - I can't have found them too difficult as I'd have soon given up if I had. I've never been back to them since, maybe I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed all the ones I mentioned enough to read them again. I've really enjoyed reading a volume of her diaries during lockdown, too. Diary reading has a therapeutic effect, I've discovered, at times like this. Perhaps its just reading about other people's ordinary lives at a time when there are limitations placed on ours.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful quotation. I have many books I intend to read one day but so often I just want an easy escape and pick up a thriller or the latest best seller. Must try harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the quote, too. It's unpretentious, everyday, happy stuff.

      Delete
  7. Well I shall pick up her books again I do like her. Sometimes I think the need for glamourising her lifestyle and her friends has rather ruined the skill of her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly distracts from it. The sensationalism sometimes leads people to go into her books looking for something that isn't there. And it's easy to forget how artists spend most of their lives doing, feeling and thinking about the same things as everyone else. We might all have 'nervous breakdowns' (if we haven't already) and commit suicide. We won't know until these things happen to us. The life I've known for decades has been quite an ordinary one. If I were to get a few books published, have a nervous breakdown and commit suicide, people would always think of me as the Carruthers who wrote books, had a breakdown and killed himself. In fact, these things would merely account for a small fraction of 1% of my life.

      Delete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...