Tuesday 22 December 2020

Looking Up

Yesterday, not for the first time, a much-vaunted astronomical event turned out to be invisible from our house on account of it being cloudy. Late in the evening,  I glimpsed a faint glow shining through the cloud-cover where the moon was supposed to be but otherwise the view from the back door was of uninterrupted murk.

I told myself I wasn't missing much. It might be pretty to look at but, really, the fact that two planets appear, from earth, to be next to each other is neither here nor there. It probably seemed more significant centuries ago, when the earth was believed to be the centre of the universe. It's the sort of event that's of more interest to astrologers than astronomers. There are more thrilling things to look at in the sky at night - so long as the clouds hold off.

I try to make a point of looking up at the night sky every day. It helps me keep my feet on the ground, I think. If I don't have time to spot a few constellations, or see if I can make out, say, the double star in the handle of the Plough,  then it's a sign that I need to slow down and make time for such things. Constellations, of course, are as fortuitous as conjunctions but I enjoy spotting them. Now and again I try to learn new ones but it's a slow process.

We're lucky here, in that the sky is usually very dark. We live on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, which has just been named an international dark sky reserve. Sometimes you can look up from our garden and make out dark clouds in the heart of the Milky Way or see -if you know where to look- the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye. 

Of course, these days you can see amazing  astronomical photographs taken by various space probes. There's a particularly humbling one that I saw recently. It was taken by the Cassini probe and showed the earth as a distant dot peeping over the massive rings of Saturn, looking much like Venus looks from Earth.

However, I don't think any photograph can be quite as thrilling as actually seeing things for yourself, even if the images you can see through binoculars or a cheap telescope are nothing like as detailed. You never forget the first time you see the rings of Saturn or the moons of Jupiter, even if all you can make out are tiny, silvery shapes and dots.

Oh well, I just hope the clouds hold off this evening. Conjunctions may be neither here nor there but, come to think of it, I wouldn't mind taking a look and they'll still be pretty close together today.

*

On a completely different tack, musicians are finding it tough these days. There are no gigs to be had. Here's a video of friend Fliss playing with the band she's in, Joli Blon. They were playing as part of a streamed benefit for the Betsey Trotwood music venue in London.






12 comments:

  1. It seems that every single astronomical event of note has been blotted out by clouds here for as long as I can remember. There was a good comet about 25 years ago though, but they stay up there for quite a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Seen one or two meteor showers - one spectacular - but not for a while.

      Delete
  2. We had clouds here as well on the north coast of California. We did get a glimpse the other night on a clear evening. I love that you have a dark night sky there. How wonderful that must be. A few years ago there was a multi-day power outage here and the dark night sky was spectacular. We took our sleeping bags out on the deck and stared up at that stunning Milky Way galaxy. I'm sure our neighbors must have heard us shouting our joy into the universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's remarkable, isn't it, when it's really dark? It's great falling asleep while looking up at the stars. Last time I did it I woke up very early with cold, wet feet!

      Delete
  3. I could see the two planets getting closer on Saturday and Sunday but yesterday was wet wet wet. In fact it's been wet wet wet on and off for weeks - quite unusual for Suffolk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wet wet wet here, too, quite often. I had visions there of being forced to listen to 1980s pop! :)

      Delete
  4. It's been cloudy here as well. I love to look up at the night sky, I just wish I had more of an idea what I was looking at. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. I know a few constellations but there are always more!

      Delete
  5. I tried to see the conjunction but was not able to last night. I think there were too many lights in the area where I live. If you enjoy photographs of the universe this is a good site that shows a different one each day: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
    Of course nothing can replace seeing the real thing!

    Thanks for the music! It gives me just the lift I need to get many last minute Christmas jobs done today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

    ...I've just been there! The size and timescales are boggling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes thanks for the music, something desperately needed at the moment. My memory is poor, so stargazing is something I do with wonder but no knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is usually too cloudy here for us to see anything interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...