Friday 18 December 2020

Books I've been Reading

Having more time on my hands than usual over the last few months has given me more time to read. Like John at By Stargoose and Hanglands, I thought I'd share a few of the books I've been reading. 


1. The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume 2.



One thing that's really kept me going these last few months has been Virginia Woolf's diaries. I find her an inspiring character. She wrote all sorts of things: diaries, letters, essays, novels... all as well as running the Hogarth Press with her husband, Leonard Woolf. If she were alive today, she would probably be an avid blogger. Her diaries are remarkably varied: one minute she's spending the evening deep in intellectual conversation with, say, her friend TS Eliot, another, she's recording trivial details of day-to-day life. My favourite, by far, is from 18th August, 1921: 'I hear poor Leonard, driving the lawn-mower up and down.' I found this very amusing, although I'm not sure why. I suppose we often imagine famous people doing the things they're famous for, as if they had nothing else to do, when in fact the vast majority of their lives are spent performing the same humdrum tasks as everyone else. 

Reading the diaries of others, I think, is probably a good way to get through periods such as this when one's own life is restricted. Woolf's diary, in particular, probably resonates with me not only because I love her novels but because many of her diary entries are written at Monks House, a cottage with a garden in a village - a situation not unlike our own. When they think of Woolf, people often think about her mental health and suicide. Doing so leads people to misrepresent her. Yes, now and again she's ill, but the Woolf that leaps out from her diaries is a positive, cheerful character. 

2. Migration by WS Merwin


WS Merwin, one-time US Poet Laureate, is a poet with a very distinctive voice. When you've read a poem or two, you get to notice his quirky, slightly Surrealist sensibility whenever you encounter it. Migration is a big book and it's packed with poems. This, one of the shortest, is a good advert for the whole:

SEPARATION
Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched with its color.
WS Merwin






3. The Complete Short Stories Volume 2 by JG Ballard


I'm currently dibbing in and reading these at random. A man finds a seashell on a beach which takes him on a journey through time. A man refuses to leave his house on the slopes of a volcano, despite the obvious terrifying signs of its imminent eruption. What became of Leonardo's Crucifixion, stolen from the Louvre in 1965? Leonardo never painted a Crucifixion: Ballard invented it and then told the story of its disappearance.

Some of these stories contain the seeds that went on to grow into novels. Some are shocking or experimental. Others are more straightforward - you never know quite what to expect when you start reading one! There are 56 stories and the whole runs to 775 pages.



4. This Other London by John Rogers


When you walk round with John Rogers, you realise what a many-layered city London is. Walker, writer and film-maker, he's a mine of information on everything from Iron Age settlements under the runways of Heathrow Airport to the course of the Northern Outfall Sewage Pipe. He'll tell you, to choose a random example, that a terraced house in Tulse Hill was built on the site of a Victorian observatory where the earliest experiments in spectroscope technology took place (spectroscopes detect the chemical composition of stars). Did you know that Van Gogh once lived in SW9? I didn't. Intriguing reading.

I should add that anyone who only knows Russell Brand from the tabloid coverage of his comedic excesses will be surprised to meet the sweet guy who wrote the Foreword.

I've embedded a short video below which John Rogers made to plug the book.











12 comments:

  1. I like the sound of the first and last of these. Your comment about Leonard Woolf cutting the grass reminds me of one of my favourite bits of Dorothy Wordsworth's journal - "William in the garden picking peas" - what's more I've even seen his gardening gloves in Keswick Museum. Bugger the poems, this is the stuff for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I think I remember seeing Wordsworth's ice skates at that museum and being told he was a lousy skater. I thought that was quite funny, too.

      Delete
    2. A minor detail but I foolish said I was reading volume 3 of VW's diary when in fact it was volume 2.

      Delete
  2. You might lend me those Virginia Woolf diaries for over Christmas. I know how highly you rate her writing and in the past th stuff you have lent me I have found hard going but the diaries sound fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Virginia Woolf. She wrote an essay about a Somerset vicar and pinpointed him with extreme accuracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that! My favourite is To the Lighthouse.

      Delete
  4. I have not read Virginia Woolf's diaries and they do sound like an interesting read! I'll add that to my list for an after Christmas read. I also love learning the little everyday activities of famous people, such as cutting the grass. It helps us to see them as they really are - just regular people with a special talent.

    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a pretty good weekend, thanks! I've discovered that VW's diaries are hard to get hold of (out of print?) which surprises me. There are various selections. Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong place. They are available as Kindle books though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing what other people are reading, although I'm a lazy reader - reading crime fiction doesn't take any effort!
    I like the sound of the London book. Archeaology and history under their feet ............. sounds fascinating

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read crime fiction - I'm reading a Montalbano novel at the moment although my favourite modern crime writer is Fred Vargas. John Rogers' book is good, as are his films (there are hundreds on his YouTube channel).

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...