Wednesday 23 December 2020

Getting Ready for Christmas

I've just read an account written by a young Muslim man who, separated from his family, has found himself for the first time among people who are celebrating Christmas. It's doing the rounds on Facebook. He decided to get into the spirit of it. The long and short of it is, he is astonished to find that Christmas is a full-time job that starts sometime in the middle of November. If you're not putting up lights, you're hoovering, presents always cost a bit more than you expect, etc., etc. You get the impression that the poor guy is already on his knees. And he thought all you did was buy people presents and stick up a tree. It's very funny and very touching.

I know how he feels, although I refuse to do anything until December. You can never get everything done. If you think you have, then it only takes a moment's reflection to come up with either something you've forgotten or something you ought to do that you hadn't previously thought of.

Today, I've got to

1. Deliver local Christmas cards,

2, Make more mince pies,

3. Sort out two or three last minute presents,

4. Put away the Tesco delivery that's coming later,

5. Put up a few decorations I've not got round to putting up yet,

6. Hoover and dust,

7. Do whatever it is I've forgotten or whatever it is I haven't previously thought of, that I really ought to do.

What I must NOT forget to do tomorrow morning is take the frozen chicken out to defrost, which I bought not for myself but for the only meat-eater in the house. The poor thing weighs 1.45kg (the chicken, that is).  The internet tells me I should put it in the fridge, 5 hours for every 450g.  I make that just over 16 hours (well, 16.11 reoccurring hours to be exact). I can then keep it up to 24 hours in the fridge before cooking it. I plan to move it from the freezer into the fridge, in a roasting tray covered in clingfilm, very early on Christmas Eve morning, with a view to putting it in the oven perhaps 10am on Christmas Day. Any advice from more experienced chicken roasters will be gratefully received!

*

This is another short film I put together as a result of exploring my immediate locality during lockdown. The days were longer then and the leaves still on the trees. Why this hill is called Zebra Hill has intrigued me ever since I saw the name on the map. You can click on the little box in the corner to see it 'full screen'... 





14 comments:

  1. Perhaps we should forego what has evolved into the modern day Christmas and revert to the simpler celebration of past decades.
    Wishing you a happy one however you celebrate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also have the token meat eater (home from uni) so he too is getting the chicken treatment! as for the dusting? pah - the dust bunnies need a break too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a student it was the other way round!

      Delete
  3. Defrosting times in the fridge take slightly longer than the mathematical estimates in my experience. You should be alright with that chicken defrosting in the fridge for 24 hours but definitely no less. Ideally leave it in its packing and place in a bowl to catch drips. If you are somehow managing to get the wrapping off it (difficult if not impossible on a frozen bird) then, yes, cover it. I hope that helps. Happy Christmas Carruthers and I hope all is quiet on the Western Front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. It is now in the fridge. And a Happy Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  4. I could have almost written this post myself. And I'm kicking myself for not wrapping Lily's presents while she was still at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. One of the fascinating things about blogging is the light it casts on how alike everyday life is for most people.

      Delete
  5. Like the film. As to the defrosting and roasting - you have an experienced chicken roaster there with you - she can give you instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She will. With anything, I think, though, it's good to so internalise what you have to do that you don't need instructions.

      Delete
  6. Your list sounds similar to mine. I've had a day of baking, cleaning and gift wrapping and will have more of the same tomorrow. You are correct, it never all gets done!

    I enjoyed the film. It has a unique feel and sound to it. You have a nice touch with videos. I hope you and your partner have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting how blogging exposes the similarities in everyday life.

    Thanks for the thoughts on the film. Unique?! It would be nice if it were. I suppose I'm more aware than others when I watch it of the films that influence me, so it might seem less so to me. As for sound, I think it's mightily important. One of the things that got me interested in making films was the making of soundtracks. Making this one I probably spent as much much time mooching round the hill with a sound recorder as I did with a camera.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well one small note on the roasting of chicken, when it comes out of the oven make sure it is cooked by inserting a skewer into it and seeing the juices run clear! Merry Christmas to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that film too. The name Dominic Rivron is very familiar to me. For a moment I thought he could be Weave's son who used to blog here.

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...