Monday 18 April 2022

.​..and I think the little house knew something about it; don't you?

I always keep a look out for any new releases by Jumble Hole Clough. If you don't know it, it's the brainchild of Colin Robinson of Big Block 454, which describes itself as 'making exploratory, highly individual music that encompasses rock, funk, electronica, folk music, Dadaist collage and much more besides.' Jumble Hole Clough seems to have grown out of this. It started out, as Robinson puts it, 'to produce music influenced by the landscape, industrial remains and experiences around Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire'. I would respectfully suggest that although JHC retains some of the eldritch oddity that I associate with that neck of the woods (it was once my stamping ground, too), it has, over the 39 albums now produced under the name, gone beyond it.

Of the 38 albums produced prior to this one it's hard to single out a favourite but mine is probably Answers on a Postcard. They're all more than worth a listen.

.​..and I think the little house knew something about it; don't you? is something of a departure – but less of one than might appear at first glance. It's a collection of generative music, an approach which has certainly not openly figured in JHC's music so far. As Robinson explains, 'you set up a system and some rules... A variety of probability and aleatoric functions are used, such as Turing Machines and nested Bernoulli gates. The probability process means that the music gradually changes over time.' Reading this, it was hard not to think of the work of Brian Eno. However, I was reminded of something someone once said of John Cage, that however much he used processes and aleatoric techniques to put distance between himself and his music, it still, somehow, managed to sound like John Cage. For all the processes, this album still manages to sound like Jumble Hole Clough - but in new and unexpected ways. The quirky, eldritch quality still shines through.

Jumble Hole Clough -as Cage once said of Satie- is indispensable.


6 comments:

  1. For some reason, this music brings up unsettling fearful memories from my childhood through my late 30s when I felt lost and alone, searching for community. I remember being 2 years old and frightened, with no one and nothing to comfort me. I had to look up "eldritch" because I had forgotten what it means. Did you ever read "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch," by Philip K. Dick? His books have this same quality. This music could be the soundtrack for his books. I read them when I was in my 20s, astounded by the confusion and disorientation (much like my childhood) they evoked in me. Now that I am not lost and alone, listening to this music encourages a strange mixture of compassion for my younger self and gratitude for having survived. Thank you for an oddly healing experience through music. Because your mother has mentioned your situation on her blog, you and your wife have been in my thoughts. Kindest wishes to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts! I've not read the PK Dick but I know the title. I've been experimenting with writing about music a lot recently and will probably post some more posts about music. I'm especially interested in things that don't make it into the mainstream.

      Delete
  2. I can't download this until you help me with a sound problem. I would love to listen so please help me next time you come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all sounds quite interesting although I must admit I have never heard of Jumble Hole Clough or Colin Robinson of Big Block 454 so you will have to excuse my ignorance. I guess it has not yet come to my country. It sounds as if it contains an unusual combination of musical styles. I like the thought of music influenced by the landscape and I imagine the influence of industrial remains could add a unique touch.

    It is nice to see you blogging again! I hope you and your partner are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing fine thanks! I have a soft spot for musicians neither I (until, of course I hear about them) or other people haven't heard of! I've been writing a lot about music recently, so I'll probably be posting a few more musical posts here in the near future.

      Delete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...