Friday 29 October 2021

The Day I Ran Away

One day in 1966 I ran away from boarding school. I was eight at the time. It was the beginning of my second term. I'd been sent there with the best of intentions. I'd been having problems at my previous school and my parents were at their wits' end. In their position, had I been able to afford it, I may well have done the same thing.

The first term had not been easy but my teachers had reassured my parents that things would get better. All boys take time to settle in, they said, some longer than others. To the adults in my life, things, understandably, didn't seem to be as bad as they really were. One had to accept that teachers knew what they were doing. What the teachers played down, I suspect, was the way violence was normalised inside that institution. For myself, as soon as I got back, I realised that the coming term was going to be at least as awful as the one before. For ten weeks, I'd been beaten at least four times a week and, at the end of term, the headmaster told me to remind him next term that he 'owed me a whopping'. Needless to say, when I returned, I didn't.

One morning, soon after the start of term, me and another boy who'd also had enough just walked off. I remember it vividly. It's a slide-show I can replay in my head at will. Chapel, which was held every morning, after breakfast, was over. We were walking down past the sports fields to the block where the classrooms were. As I remember it, he and I were talking about how fed up we both were. We'd never really spoken to each other before that day or been particularly friendly, but that morning we found common cause. Perhaps we gave each other the strength we needed to do what needed to be done. As we passed the rugby pitch we simply turned off the path and walked across it towards the fields and woods beyond. We had no plan. Like so many great rebellions, however many times it'd been dreamt of, when it actually happened it was a spontaneous act. I remember the other boys stood and watched us, jeering and laughing at us as we walked away. Looking back now it strikes me as curious that they thought they had something to laugh about. After all, they were the ones left behind on the inside of a violent neglectful institution, looking out. We were the ones on the outside, walking away. We were the lucky ones.

We just kept walking. We held out for a whole day. The school, as I remember it, was in the middle of nowhere. We made our way from field to field, furtively crossing the occasional road when we had to. I remember once peeping round a hedge to see a queue of police cars waiting at a crossroads, all, we presumed, out looking for us. Looking back it was probably one of the most exciting days of my life. We were wanted men. As we travelled we made a vague plan for the immediate future. The other boy knew the area slightly as his family home was not that far away. We decided to head for it as best we could but I've no idea whether or not we were ever actually travelling in anything like the right direction. He said we'd get a telling off if we made it but, knowing his mum, she'd at least give us a plate of beans on toast. As the day wore on, we began to get hungry. The thought of that beans on toast spurred us on. I have a vague memory of coming across an apple tree at one point and taking a few bites from a sour apple, but I might've imagined this.

By the evening, it was obvious we were getting nowhere. We didn't relish the thought of spending the night out of doors, or huddled in the corner of some farm building. Not only would it be cold, scary and uncomfortable but it would raise the whole episode to a different level. We decided to give ourselves up. The next road we came to, we simply waited on the verge for the next passing police car.

I have no memory of the journey back. What I didn't know at the time was that the police had been to the school for another reason that day, to arrest the headmaster for taking indecent photographs of children. When we got back I did get the sense, though, as you do sometimes as a child, that the adults around us were preoccupied with important things we knew nothing about. I remember hearing low voices involved in earnest conversations, too far away to hear what was being said.

We were taken to the headmaster's study and given a stern lecture. Apparently, our crime was so grave that, for once, we were not going to be beaten. We were to be suspended. We should understand that this was the height of indignity, far worse than six of the best. Our parents were coming to collect us. I remember feeling disappointed that we'd not been expelled. Perhaps, I thought, we should've stayed out all night after all. But that was only a passing thought. It was immediately followed by the realisation that, although I was only suspended, my parents would surely never send me back. All through the lecture I remember standing there, staring impassively at the adult in front of me while feeling, inside, a sense of complete triumph, a feeling which he, had he been able to read my mind, would've described as insolence. I viewed him with complete contempt. We had broken the rules, yes - his rules. He viewed what we did as misbehaviour. In fact, looking back, I find it hard to think of a day during my childhood when I behaved better, right down to our decision not to worry our parents unduly by staying out all night.

We were sent to collect our trunks from the cellar. My father came to collect me. I remember the tug I felt when the boy I'd run away with was whisked away. I knew at that moment I'd never see him again. As I expected, I never went back.

There was no barbed-wire fence around the school. There didn't need to be. Most boys more-or-less happily adapted to the regime of cod-tradition, bells, beatings and rough team games. There were prizes to be won, one could become a good cricketer, even captain of the First XI. One could make a life for oneself there. Those who did, erected barbed-wire fences in their minds and rarely if ever felt a desire to cut through them.

My time at that school and especially the events of that day certainly played a part in shaping my life and, in particular, my political opinions. As an adult, I've always found complacency tiresome. I tend to feel more at home among misfits. I'm still intrigued by how people develop loyalty to institutions that abuse them. For example, I don't understand how anyone can feel patriotic towards a country that lets its most vulnerable citizens suffer, die needlessly, or sleep on the streets. When I look at the world's political institutions, authority figures and the public's response to them, I'm often reminded of Tom Waits' observation that we're 'monkeys with money and guns.' And then there's the business of having to choose between breaking the rules and doing the right thing. As people often point out, those who shielded Anne Frank and her family were breaking the law. Those who killed them were upholding it. When Rosa Parks, quite rightly, refused to give up her seat on a bus to a white person she, too, was breaking the law. I've come to the conclusion that doing the right thing trumps the rules. The more people think for themselves and set off across the rugby pitch the better.

Looking back, I'm not sure what memories from that day have left the deepest impression on me. Was it the impotent finger-wagging of the authority figures? Was it the jeering of the boys we left behind? Neither. I think, on reflection, it was the epiphanic moment, after we'd given ourselves up, when I realised I was free. There was a downside, though. I'd made myself into an outsider. As Camus said: The outsider is not sure who he is. He has found an “I” but it is not his true “I”. His main business is to find his way back to himself.

I can relate to that. For years afterwards I felt lost for words. I was painfully shy in adult company, never sure of what I should say. I didn't make friends easily, although the next school I went to provided me with the safe, caring environment I needed. They also taught me to play an instrument and began turning me into a musician. In retrospect, it's obvious that Camus' project, the journey back, the search for my true “I”, was my project back then. Come to think of it, I'm still working on it.




12 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. As your Mother I have learned more about the awful day from here than I have learned in the last fifty years. We do things with the best of intentions but they don't always turn out to be the right thing in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that you are Weaver's son until I saw her comment. I am glad you got away from that school. From reading Weaver's posts, I know that you are a fine son and a good, caring man. I am glad you found your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compellingly told, including accompanying photo. Brings some of my own memories to mind and those of friends of mine. Freedom and the long journey of finding one's way back to one's true self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you continue to always feel free

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a well written and important description of growing up. No child should face abuse from the teachers or other students. There are times when doing the "right thing" is not always the legal or socially acceptable thing. You and your friend were brave and looking out for yourselves. I understand being an outsider for I have always been one. It's not always a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Canada has a horrendous record with residential schools for aboriginals. I taught aboriginals for 5 years. At that time the school and residence were separate but it still was not a good situation. Well told . I know your story is not on aboriginals but I see the similarities. Good that you grew out of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of your best and most personal bits of writing. This short episode speaks volumes and indeed there are some defining moments that shape our lives. Well done for having the courage to write about a painful time - significantly, it has taken this moment in your life to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been reading several blogs and articles recently about people not wanting to be in the treadmill - bullshit jobs, not supporting those who manipulate others for their own ends, working for what we need rather than what others want, not doing work we wouldn't do for nothing. It is a viewpoint that seems to have grown out of realisations made during lockdown - that so many people spend their lives either working, travelling to/from work, getting ready to work, and recovering from work. Probably the kind of non-conformism neccessary to save the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautifully-written, compelling post. You describe that day, that moment of your life with such insight. It's hard to image being in school where being beaten and treated with such violence. You and your friend were brave. And you are so right, sometimes it is the lawbreakers who are truly doing the right thing. Thank you for writing this and sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of those wretched times from the past. I am glad you were able to write about it but I suspect it is one of those threads that accompany you through life.
    I remember when I was about 12 being in the car dropping off my half brother and cousin at their boarding school, they were both crying and a few weeks later ran away, they took to the trains though. Their tears have haunted me all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post was a very good one. It was the opposite for me. School was the safe place. Home was the chaos and violence. Your Camus closing rung true to me. Yesterday at work, I listened to a mother talking about her talking about her 13 year old. The woman across from her said "At 13, they are figuring out who they are." To myself I thought, "Let them discover it at 13. It's a pain to be trying to figure it out at 65.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be miserable at school is awful but to not be able to escape to a loving home every evening must be torture.
    We watched the film "Official Secrets" about Katharine Gun last night, the woman who risked going to prison in order to reveal the truth about the Iraq war, definitely a case of doing the right thing in breaking the rules. It takes a brave person to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...