Tuesday 6 July 2021

What Happened

I recently gathered together a few recordings I'd made and uploaded them to Bandcamp. Okay, so free improvised music is a niche genre and somewhere at the back of that niche you'll find another even smaller niche set into the wall: avant-garde free improvised bass guitar solos. It may have as many as twenty fans around the world, most of whom listen to it in the hope that, if they do, the other nineteen might listen to their stuff. Okay, I'm one of them. What the hell...

If you don't like the music, have fun with the track titles and the allusion to the cover art in track 5, which is a bit (but not totally) different to the rest of the album.

By the way, bass instruments just don't come over on tiny speakers in devices. It really needs a good pair of headphones.

7 comments:

  1. I found them surprisingly 'listenable', especially one and two - are they actually written down so that they can be played or are they just improvisations and as such like ships that pass in the night. I can imagine them as background to short films on television - but I suppose you would have to improvise while watching the film rather than the other way round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Purely improvised. Unrepeatable. It's refreshing. Next time you play, you play something else. And yes, you can practise improvisation, just as you can practise written music.

      I do stick music behind films sometimes but the film doesn't necessarily have to come first.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. ArCaDiA (track 5) sent my mind all over the place with various thoughts and pictures. I checked out some of your other recordings on Bandcamp as well. I do like your cover art and titles. There is definitely a place for improvisations in music. I enjoy some electronic music but more in line with Tangerine Dream. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. Regarding TD, I've got Rubycon on vinyl kicking around somewhere. I bought it in my teens. I listened to it quite a lot but I was always more of a Stockhausen fan back then!

      Delete
  3. I'm really enjoying listening to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! Pleased you like it. I realise that what I do is musical Marmite. It's definitely not most people's cup of tea. I can't help wondering if it came as a surprise or if you're already a fan of free improv, Derek Bailey, etc.?

      Delete
  4. Interestingly your paternal grandfather was a pianist in the era of silent films.

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...