Saturday 27 March 2021

Waiting for the Van

I had to get up early today. It was no problem: I woke up about 2.30am and it felt as if I hardly got back to sleep at all after that. I listened to a podcast and spent a happy hour reading other people's blogs and commenting on them.

I had to get up because we're expecting a Tesco delivery sometime between 8 and 9. Unfortunately, it's too late to change the order. If I could, I'd add doughnuts to my shopping list. Sometime around 5am I was reading Hiawatha House's account of his great grandmother's doughnuts. I've been craving one ever since.

Sat here waiting for the van it crossed my mind to wonder how long this was going to go on for and what sort of a lifestyle it'll morph into afterwards? There are many things I'm looking forward to but, equally, there are aspects of our lives now that I want to retain. I have more time to do this, for example. Also, I've written quite a lot of poetry over the years (I'd like to have written more) but have rarely had time for the slog required to write huge quantities of prose. Thanks to a year of being locked down I'm now over half-way through a book (I passed the 30k word mark the other week). I'll have to start thinking about trying to get it published. I might get nowhere, in which case I'll self-publish it. At the very least, when I finish it, I'll have written a book. I don't know how things are going to change over the coming year but I'm determined to make sure  I continue to set aside time to work on it.

I always feel a cloud settling over me as the time to deal with the Tesco order approaches. I don't know why. The time I spend unpacking it, washing it (yes, I still wash it all) and putting it away is a fraction of the time I used to spend driving to Tesco's, shopping and driving home. Getting it all delivered is one of the things that has created more time in my life.

Oh well, it's 7.55. I better go and gird up my loins.

*

I watched this recently. It's particularly interesting on account of bit about Ron Hitchins, the artist and flamenco dancer:



20 comments:

  1. We are not fans of internet shopping at all and especially not for groceries. We have had so many things not supplied because they were out of stock, or daft substitutions.
    We already make occasional forays into the supermarket if it's quiet and it's a total joy to be able to choose something that's not on the shopping list just because it looks nice! Or, better still, to not buy something we wanted because it looks past its best, too small or under ripe, and pick something else instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had ne problems with substitutions and the like. Past experience told me it was likely to be a pain but I was pleasantly surprised as things went on. I guess we must be lucky with our supermarket.

      Delete
  2. As it is impossible for us to get any delivery slots we still have to go to the supermarket once a week to buy fresh food. Well, when I say we I mean him indoors. He says he is expendable.
    Good luck with the book. I hope you get published so that we can all enjoy your success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As for slots, round here they're easier to get than they used to be. You used to have to be online, logged into Tesco five minutes early, ready to click on one of the slots as they were released at midnight, hoping that the site didn't crash with the traffic! It eased off as time went on and they got more vans and introduced "priority slots" for vulnerable people. I always try to book them a few weeks in advance, though.

      Delete
  3. That is an early morning slot (did you pay prime delivery?) mine always come in the afternoon and I must admit I am quite happy with it. Now whether I have my own personal shopper I don't know but he/she always manages to put fresh vegetables/fruit which will last the fortnight. Never wash it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just book one-hour Tesco slots on the website. They seem pretty good here, too, at actually choosing stuff you'd probably choose yourself. I signed up for a scheme where you pay a few quid monthly to be not charged for every delivery.

      Delete
  4. We still go to the local food co-op here. They reserve two hours every morning (7:00-9:00) for seniors. They have mask rules as well. Everyone seems to be doing their part to keep us all safe. I still wash every fruit and veggie we buy.
    Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They do senior shopping slots here, too, or at least they used to? Perhaps they still do.

      Delete
  5. With a third wave coming the outlook isn't good. There's more change to come and we will be living with restrictions for a while longer. So we are definitely going to be different after this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll certainly be more cautious, I think. Mask wearing might become more common (as it has been for a while in SE Asia).

      Delete
  6. I find the idea of my Tesco order's arrival daunting but then when it is all washed and put away and I wonder why I felt daunted - nothing like as arduous as actually shopping for it all. But I do miss the odd sortie to a good greengrocer or baker. As regards that video of Hackney - I couldn't raise any sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it again! It's really good. No sound? Hover over the bottom left hand corner. You'll see a picture of a speaker. Click on it.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the Hackney film as I used to live in that area when I was a student in the seventies. I've shopped online for years - mainly because I don't have a car - and have it down to a fine art now. I trust the scientists who say the virus can only live for three days so only wash things that I'm going to use immediately - so far I've survived! I wish you success with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There's a few things I just leave to stand in the room that has become the storeroom for such things. Trouble is, I put things in there and forget when I put them in!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the progress of your book! We still wash our groceries as well. It's become a habit by now. I have a feeling this pandemic will change a lot that we did not expect to change. I would like for some things to not change but I don't feel like I can do anything about it. I see so many generational changes now aside from the pandemic. I enjoyed the video. I've always loved artist's homes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think when you do things out of caution it's always hard to stop doing them once the danger has passed. I once, in my youth, went on a rock climb with a friend that was so hairy (the climb!) that he couldn't bring himself to untie from the rope for several minutes afterwards.

      Delete
  9. I also get cravings for things when I see or hear of people consuming them. Recently I have been craving cigarettes for that reason, but it doesn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a few years after I gave up, people smoking always got me wanting a cigarette myself. It doesn't anymore. If you find yourself in possession of a packet, just stick it under your frigbob.

      Delete
  10. I love the time saved as I am not fond of any type of shopping. I know weird for a female. I joined a self publishing group on Facebook but I am still confused by the process. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shop mostly in the co-op and at two small local groceries that are never busy.

    Congratulations on writing your book!

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...