Sunday 6 December 2020

The View from the Window

It's almost four o'clock and already getting dark. Outside, I can hear the patter of rain. For some reason, the combination of rain and looking out the window at the grey sky takes me back to the sixties and the early seventies. I've no idea why: perhaps, when I was 12 or so, I used to lie on my bed looking out of the window a lot on wet days. 

It's got me thinking about just how much things have changed -or not- in my lifetime. If you go back through different eras in history, things looked very different. Elizabethan men wore doublet and hose. Their counterparts in the 18th century wore wigs and frock coats. Victorians dressed, well, like Victorians. And so on. Me, I've lived almost two-thirds of a century and I've spent my entire adult life dressed in jeans and t-shirts (not the same ones, I hasten to add). There have been minor variations but, otherwise, things seem to have stayed very much the same. One can dress flexibly, too - people think nothing of referencing things that were in fashion 40 years ago (punk, for example) in what they wear.

Despite this, when I look back on my childhood, what I remember feels very different to the present. The huge difference, of course, is that today anyone who can afford it has decent central heating. I know there are those less privileged than myself who don't but these days I never have to climb into bed telling myself it'll warm up in a few minutes, or wake up feeling the cold air on my face and having to steel myself to get up. I've forgotten when I last had to sit on a cold toilet seat. (Years before it was even worse: I remember my mother telling me how she sometimes had to break the ice in the water jug in her bedroom). 

Then there's the technology. I remember once, in the days I've been talking about, wanting a transistor radio for Christmas. I was fascinated by radios. I didn't really want to listen to it. I wanted to take it to bits to see how it worked. I remember thinking I ought not to dismantle it too soon after Christmas - it seemed like a sure way to get into trouble. I decided I'd have to keep it a while before I did the deed. I get a sense of deja vu these days whenever I see the credits to the original Star Trek series roll. It takes me back to those days. I remember watching it back then and thinking that, somehow, the technology that went into the cathode ray tube TV and my transistor radio would morph into the technology that created the likes of the Starship Enterprise.

And I mustn't forget the food. I remember eating a pretty basic diet of 'British food' during my childhood. It wasn't so many years since rationing. I also remember how things changed: yoghourt and muesli came on the scene. At first everyone thought they were for 'cranks' but they caught on. Not for the first or last time, the 'cranks' had the right idea. I remember the fascination when my auntie cooked 'Boeuf Stroganoff'. Then came the Vesta curries: little bags of dried, exotic-sounding food - the sort of thing you imagined people eating in spaceships. In no time, all sorts of sloppy-looking food with lots of bits chopped up in a sauce started to appear. Before we knew it, our diet had become rich and varied.

I may be painting a picture of  what was a stable world in many ways, but that's only by virtue of the position I was in at the time. There were those beyond my world who wanted to change it. I grew up to find myself agreeing with them. One of my enduring childhood memories is of being told to stay in because an anti-Vietnam march was passing through our town. I remember, next day, walking to school and seeing U.S. GET OUT OF VIETNAM painted in huge letters on a brick wall by the main road. 

There seemed to be a naivete about those times in the world I inhabited. The adults I met always seemed to be saying 'you can't stop progress' in a way which suggested they wanted to but weren't going to be the ones rocking the boat. Most of them seemed to be happy living a way of life that was familiar to them. It was as if it seemed, to them,  that there was no reason to change it. I suppose most people leading a secure life in any age feel that way.  But, of course, it was about to change. It was an analogue world, in which data was still held on index-cards. Margaret Thatcher was an MP but not yet PM. Climate change and the environment had yet to hit the news. I may still wear t-shirts and jeans and the view from a bedroom window of a grey, December sky may be much the same, but the world we live in now has changed massively.


Footnote,  26/12/20

I've just been reading an interesting article about technological  innovation and cultural stagnation (eg,  in musical styles)  in the 21st century. https://thequietus.com/articles/13004-mark-fisher-ghosts-of-my-life-extract

24 comments:

  1. And will keep doing so Carruthers - on that you can rely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change? Yes. Computers are changing thing things in unimaginable ways, too. Interesting that a time of massive real changes has not so far been a time of great 'visible'change.

      Delete
  2. The toilet seat in my downstairs bathroom is still cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a look on Amazon... You can get electrically heated toilet seats. I don't think it's something I'd admit to buying, though! And they set you back 135 quid.

      Delete
  3. I well remember waking up in the bedroom I shared with my sister, pulling on my school uniform under the blankets. My clothes had been on top of the bed all night for extra warmth. The single-glazed, metal framed windows frosted with ice - on the inside. The only form of heating in the house was the open fire downstairs. Every other room was freezung cold. How I hated bath night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about how often there was frost on the window! It was (is) intriguing to look at.

      Delete
  4. I've popped over from Tom's..
    If that's aloud..! :).

    I just wanna say..don't know the
    right word..Envious or Jealous..
    Your are an amazing laid back person,
    l laid back in my swing chair, and read
    your post, it did me more good than my
    15mins with my Autogenics..!

    There's me..suffered from Anxiety/Stress
    ALL my life, not life threatening..But!
    I run around the ceiling, no patience,
    can't settle..! HeHe! Well..l do laugh
    a lot..! :).

    God Bless Ya..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is permitted! I just popped over to your blog, too. It says you speak Italian. I wish I could. I've been watching Montalbano a lot on TV. I just love the sound of the language and wish I didn't have to read the subtitles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really an easy language to learn..
      I never had to learn it, as l was born
      in Sicily, so Sicilian and Italian was
      my first language, always had a flair
      for languages, and l also speak, only
      speak mind, Spanish and German..
      My English is none to good..thank
      goodness for spellchecker..! :).

      And, yes, Montalbano is brilliant,
      strangely, l have Sicilian films/
      programs..dubbed in Italian..as it
      is a slightly different language..!

      Delete
    2. I've picked up a bit of Sicilian/Italian from watching it. Pronto (they're always on the phone), prego, allora, minchia. They seem to use these words a lot. Arrivederci and ciao I knew already! I enjoyed watching this, too: https://youtu.be/cQpYh2oLOSI

      Delete
  6. Not so much change in our Italian village. Of course technology has arrived and many young people have left for the city but old fashioned values remain. There is respect for the elderly, people are mostly polite, things are done as they always have been. I grew up in a farm, we had no central heating, in winter I slept with next mornings clothes under my pillow so they weren’t quite so cold when I put them on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's too high a turnover of people in this Yorkshire village for there to be much by way of tradition. People are mostly polite, though.

      Delete
  7. Yes, things have changed and will keep on changing. I wish I could see what direction we are headed. Here in the USA things are a bit crazy and chaotic. Between the virus and the election, we're all waiting to see what will come next. I have mixed feelings about our attachment to technology, but am ever so grateful for the the blogging community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the situation is further complicated by the fact that what happens next and what happens in the longer term may be two different things. As for technology, given the challenges that face humanity I find it hard to imagine us managing without it.

      Delete
  8. I can relate so well to this post! I often think about how much has changed since I was a child. We've had so many technological advancements in just our lifetime. There have been many other changes too. When I was growing up girls always had to wear dresses or skirts to school. It was not until the year after I graduated that girls were allowed to wear jeans or slacks. I do remember what it was like before central heating too! I'd go to bed with a stack of blankets and quilts piled up on my bed and the windows would have ice on them. We have gotten soft in many ways but we are also very fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my mum was training to be a teacher, she had to ride a scooter to college. This meant she had to wear trousers. She went to see the principal, who told her she could wear trousers so long as she wore them "with decorum" and changed into a skirt after she'd arrived. Late 1960s.

      Delete
  9. Are you a fan of Sherlock Holmes or is your choice of blog names merely a coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just going to ask the same question lol

      Delete
    2. My other blog is called The Solitary Cyclist, which probably answers your question!

      Delete
    3. Yes I know and that was what alerted me to the Sherlock Holmes connection and you being the same person, or at least one of several things. You may recall that you have commented on my blog using the Solitary Cyclist blog in the not too distant past.

      Delete
    4. Your other blog, the one I contacted you on recently, has more of a James Joyce connection.

      Delete
    5. "It is this hour of a day in mid June, Stephen said, begging with a swift glance their hearing. The flag is up on the playhouse by the bankside. The bear Sackerson growls in the pit near it, Paris garden. Canvasclimbers who sailed with Drake chew their sausages among the groundlings."

      Delete
  10. You have leapt out of the shadows newly hatched but you are not! You write with such grace and catch the moment. Welcome...

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...