Saturday 5 December 2020

From Barry to Bach

Blue sky this morning, with just a few wispy clouds. It's good for morale,  to see the sky after all the overcast weather we've been having. We're just sat drinking coffee. Earlier,  I was listening to Bach. G's now got Barry Manilow on. G and I  have very different musical tastes. 

The way we all like different music is intriguing. I've come to appreciate Barry a bit.  I certainly respect his skills - he's a great musician. But I don't get what I want from him. He leaves me if not cold,  then lukewarm. 

I spend a lot of time with my Bluetooth headphones on.  I wouldn't impose my tastes on anyone.  Recently,  it's been Throbbing Gristle.  Before that,  James Chance and the Contortions. Then there's the Bach.  I look for different things to listen to, settle on something for a while,  then move on. I do come back to the things I like most but I like to think of music as a journey full of surprises.  The things we can do with noise. 

And the results can be overwhelming.  Music is a powerful drug. I was going to say it can be so powerful that I'm surprised repressive governments haven't banned it but, of course,  at different times and in different places,  they have. Music was tightly controlled in Britain in the time of Cromwell. The Soviet Union kept a close eye on what its composers were doing. Even Bach was warned to not make his church music too invigorating.

I think I'm right in saying Indian classical music specifies certain scales for different times of the day.  There are things you play in the morning and things you play in the evening. It has always seemed a great idea to me. If you've jobs to do in the evening when you feel like putting your feet up,  there's nothing like the throb of a heavy beat to keep you going. 

Coffee break over. Barry's 'This One's for You' has come to an end.  I'm now going  to go and get the Christmas decorations out. Talking of music,  Christmas is a great time for it.  As a music teacher (which I am)  I never tire of teaching people to play carols. Every year,  there are children I teach who,  struggling to read music in November are fluent readers by January.  It's not down to me - it's the 'Christmas effect'. Whatever you feel about Christmas,  it's certainly a time when music serves a real purpose in the community. People who are learning to play instruments or enjoy singing suddenly find they're in demand!

Did I say Barry Manilow leaves me lukewarm? I  take it back.  I've just watched this. Wow!  Is there anyone who doesn't like 'Copacabana'?





10 comments:

  1. I listen to a lot of different music. You tube has given me the opportunity to find many different kinds of music. Presently I'm listening to Austrian folk music in German and I don't speak or understand German.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that. It always fascinates me how we can enjoy music with words, even when we can't hear them or understand them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a very long time since I listened to Barry Manilow. I remember he was very popular way back in the 70s and 80s. I look at the title of this song and can already sing the lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that. I've always been a bit perplexed by the words. There was a single gunshot - so surely it should be quite clear who had been shot. However, the lyrics say it was unclear "who shot who".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the past few months I've been learning the Ukulele and something magical has happened. It takes me away from all the horrible goings on at the moment and I'm loving it. Just shows you that it's never too late. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed not. I was as once approached by a 90-year-old woman who wanted to learn to play the cello. She did pretty well.

    Playing an instrument certainly takes you somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People do read the first post on a new blog - I just did!
    I would love to be one of those people who could learn to play something but I just can't get the brain connected between note on a page and note on a piano.
    I'll stick to listening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of me -probably because I teach music!- says I'm almost sure you can, if you're given the correct guidance. I'm sure this is true, too. Very, very few people are actually 'tone deaf'. Quite a lot of people think they are. However, another part of me thinks of the things I don't do that I don't feel I have an aptitude for (I'm useless at playing pool, for example) and thinks well, life is short - we need to do what we're best at. Enjoy the listening! Nowt wrong with that.

      Delete
  8. I used to enjoy all kinds of music before my hearing deteriorated. I have to rely on my memory of my favourites these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. I get a bit of tinnitus these days, which gets in the way of music a bit. Thankfully, in my case its not that serious.

      Delete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...