Thursday 10 December 2020

After Long Silence



 
I got given this book as a school prize back in 1975. I had to choose it from the limited number of books available in the local department store. The poetry section was not particularly big, as I remember. Being the nearest thing available to the things I was interested in, it caught my eye. It cost £1.75. As it happens, I’d bought quite an interesting book. It’s viewed as an oddity by many critics: a book that says at least as much about the editor, WB Yeats, as it says about modern poetry of that time.

I picked it up yesterday for the first time in a long time. It struck me it had been a while since I'd read any Yeats. I turned to the first poem in the book he'd selected from his own work. I was interested to see what of his work he wanted his readers to read first. I immediately realised that although I've owned the book since 1975, and have dibbed into it quite a lot over the years, I'd not read it before - at least, not with a receptive mind. It's called After Long Silence:

Speech after long silence; it is right,
All other lovers being estranged or dead,
Unfriendly lamplight hid under its shade,
The curtains drawn upon unfriendly night,
That we descant and yet again descant
Upon the supreme theme of Art and Song:
Bodily decrepitude is wisdom; young
We loved each other and were ignorant.

It hit me between the eyes - not least because it more-or-less spoke thoughts I'd been thinking  recently. And it's one hell of a poem, too. 


Harold Montgomory Budd (May 24, 1936 – December 8, 2020) 

2 comments:

  1. Harold Budd, well I had to go and look him up - ambient music and Brian Eno came to the front. But also I recognised it from the rain falling on a Korean temple as well, which is a favourite of mine. A Song for Lost Blossoms, a very Japanese thought. Gentle music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's new to me, too. I saw he died this week and tried having a listen. I'm not usually an ambient music fan but I find him growing on me. The title of this album put me in mind of the Yeats poem.

      Delete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...