Monday 28 December 2020

Billy Elliot

I watched Billy Elliot last night. It always chokes me up, all the way through. So much so that, in a way, it's wrong to say I watched it. I had to keep going out to recover my equilibrium before coming back for more. 

I think a lot of people say this about the film. I touches so many nerves. Here's a young person driven to a particular creative outlet. At first his father tries to crush the person he wants to be, much as the government is simultaneously trying to crush the miners. The father fails, the government succeeds. The father comes to see how wrong he was about his son. After all, all he ever wanted was the best for him.

Just to write about the film chokes me up... There. That's better.

The end is almost unbearably good. What struck me this time, listening to the swelling of the Tchaikovsky as Billy prepares to go on stage, was that good classical music can get you like that without you having to watch Billy Elliot.  

What turns people on to classical music? One of the great things about music is that you don't have to read a handbook to make it work. All it requires is that one gives it one's full attention and keeps listening. With classical music, like reading novels, you have to stick with it, even when the going gets tough. The appreciation of classical music used to be taught at school but was ditched many years ago. And if people aren't turned on to classical music, ballet, art, etc. then there'll be no audience for the real-life Billy Elliots of this world, which would be a tragedy. 





18 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Billy Elliot. So I googled his name and found that he is a dancer. I'm going to see if I there are videos of his performances. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is fictional. The film Billy Elliot is, I suspect a real eye-opener for anyone doesn't live in the UK! Billy was played by the (then) 13 year old dancer/actor, Jamie Bell.

      Delete
    2. The film was made 20 years ago and was set at a time before that I seem to remember. When you say it was a real eye opener for anyone not living in the UK do you mean then or have things not changed for young boys wanting to be ballet dancers? I remember a young boy around here about 40 years ago being attacked by school mates because he was a budding ballet dancer.

      Delete
    3. And again Aled Jones saying what a rough time he had which again, was the mid 80s. I only heard this on the radio yesterday.

      Delete
    4. I was thinking more that people might be surprised to see the huge class divide in Britain that the film exposes.

      I suspect opportunities for young ballet dancers have not improved. There has been a slow but relentless trend to transform the arts industry into the entertainment industry here since then.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to revisit Billy Elliott today. All I had to do was watch the trailer to re-experience how moving a movie can be. And thanks for bringing Beethoven's Sonata #21 to my attention. Hearing someone play Beethoven's music by heart is much like listening to an ancient story that has been committed to memory by heart. Oral tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a great (true?) story about Barenboim. Apparently, someone at EMI asked him if he would consider recording all Beethoven's piano sonatas for them. It's said that replied, in effect, "Sure! We can do it now if you like. Where's the piano?"

      Delete
    2. Forgot to let you know that your post appeared on my reading list this morning. Thank you for whatever you did!

      Delete
  3. I adore sitting in front of a full orchestra
    And I miss it so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. But I only ever got the chance to very rarely! Being locked down wasn't a huge change of lifestyle here when it happened.

      Delete
  4. I remember the film first time around. So sad, but I can't watch sad films any longer. The world though has changed a good bit since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say emotional, rather than sad. Nevertheless, I know what you mean. There have been times in my life when sad films and music have been off-limits.

      Delete
  5. The opening chords of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis' say it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge is to open people's minds to that thrill!

      Delete
  6. Like you Billy Elliot is one heck of a good film.

    ReplyDelete

Reports from the Deep End

Reports from the Deep End is a collection of short stories inspired by the work of J.G. Ballard. Although he's famous for his visions o...